An open letter to the Nsukka Local Government Chairman

Today the 29th of June 2016 at about 14:23 after coming out of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka 2nd gate on my way home riding a PRIVATELY owned and private bike I got stop by some men (in their early thirties). About four of them in number who claimed to be working for the Local Government, extorting money from motorcyclists which, given the location they were at the time are mostly students who don't earn any income and who probably don't even know what an "emblem" is all about. Anyone they caught is forced to either pay #1,700 (in this economy) or they take his/her bike to "the local government office."

I don't know where it is written in any constitution, that non commercial motorcyclists are meant to pay any form of "rate" just for the simple reason that they own a bike they use in coming to receive lectures especially by touts who have no identity. They are not Police or Army, Road safety or Civil defence they have no business being there forcing students to pay for what they don't understand, with all the money an average Nigerian student spends on text books and other materials alone. It's not fair.

I wish to call on the Nsukka local government Chairman to do something about this unfair situation.

I have been a victim and it's a terrible experience. I consider myself little bit lucky because I was going back to my base from school, imagine if I was rushing to come and write a quiz or something.

I hope that after today no student would have to experience this unnecessary distraction.

Popular posts from this blog

The first storey building in Nigeria located in Badagry, Lagos State, recorded 13,609 visitors in 2018