I can no longer keep quiet: MJ

Michael Jordan Releases Statement
Regarding Police Violence.

Today he released a statement via TheUndefeated :

“As a proud American, a father who lost
his own dad in a senseless act of
violence, and a black man, I have been
deeply troubled by the deaths of
African-Americans at the hands of law
enforcement and angered by the
cowardly and hateful targeting and
killing of police officers. I grieve with
the families who have lost loved ones,
as I know their pain all too well.

“I was raised by parents who taught me
to love and respect people regardless of
their race or background, so I am
saddened and frustrated by the divisive
rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to
be getting worse as of late. I know this
country is better than that, and I can no
longer stay silent. We need to find
solutions that ensure people of color
receive fair and equal treatment AND
that police officers – who put their lives
on the line every day to protect us all –
are respected and supported.

“Over the past three decades I have seen
up close the dedication of the law
enforcement officers who protect me
and my family. I have the greatest
respect for their sacrifice and service. I
also recognize that for many people of
color their experiences with law
enforcement have been different than
mine. I have decided to speak out in the
hope that we can come together as
Americans, and through peaceful
dialogue and education, achieve
constructive change.

“To support that effort, I am making
contributions of $1 million each to two
organizations, the International
Association of Chiefs of Police’s newly
established Institute for Community-
Police Relations and the NAACP Legal
Defense Fund. The Institute for
Community-Police Relations’ policy and
oversight work is focused on building
trust and promoting best practices in
community policing. My donation to the
NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the
nation’s oldest civil rights law
organization, will support its ongoing
work in support of reforms that will
build trust and respect between
communities and law enforcement.
Although I know these contributions
alone are not enough to solve the
problem, I hope the resources will help
both organizations make a positive
difference.

“We are privileged to live in the world’s
greatest country – a country that has
provided my family and me the greatest
of opportunities. The problems we face
didn’t happen overnight and they won’t
be solved tomorrow, but if we all work
together, we can foster greater
understanding, positive change and
create a more peaceful world for
ourselves, our children, our families and
our communities.”

Popular posts from this blog

The first storey building in Nigeria located in Badagry, Lagos State, recorded 13,609 visitors in 2018